If you work for Ohio State University, Wendy’s International, or Worthington Industries, and you opted into their long-term disability (LTD) insurance coverage, you probably have a policy with Unum Group. When a huge international insurance company like Unum denies your claim, you shouldn't attempt an appeal without the assistance of an ERISA attorney.
Monast Law Office would be happy to review your claim and discuss the possibility of an appeal.
Your Attorney Will Help You Throughout the Process
When Unum denies your claim, you have a right to appeal. While the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) guarantees this right, it also requires that you follow a rather complicated and restrictive process.
When appealing a Unum denial, we recommend that you:
- Call an attorney. Not every disability attorney accepts claims involving ERISA, but it's important that you find one who does as soon as you receive an adverse benefits decision.
- Understand your policy. Many claims are denied because the condition that caused your disability is excluded or is considered pre-existing. Knowing what's excluded in your policy before appealing saves you time and money.
- Work on your appeal immediately. ERISA limits the time you have to file a complete appeal. Your attorney knows of these deadlines.
- Get your claim file from Unum. You and your attorney can review the file to see what you’re up against in trying to win an appeal. What was the denial based on? Did Unum correctly represent your job duties? What evidence does it have? All of this information is in the file.
- Gather your evidence. You'll have to stack your Unum appeal with an abundance of evidence proving that you're unable to work, have seen doctors, and followed treatment plans. You only get one opportunity to present this evidence, so your attorney will make sure your appeal is loaded with the appropriate information.
If this process sounds stressful and overwhelming, that’s because it is. However, when you work with an attorney experienced with ERISA appeals, you don’t have to carry the burden alone.
Request Our Free Guide to ERISA Claims
You’d have to be an insurance adjuster to know all the tactics an insurer will use to deny your long-term disability claim, but you can understand more about what you’re up against by calling my office and by downloading and reading my free resource, How Insurance Companies Sabotage Disability Claims. If your LTD claim has been denied, please contact Monast Law Office for help.