A popular form of financial aid for college students is the Federal Work-Study program. Part-time jobs on campus are given to students with financial need College Student Working on a Computerso they can earn money to pay their fees. Because it is a form of financial aid, the money earned from these jobs is often the difference between enrolling in classes and being forced to take a semester off for many students. So, what happens if a student is injured on the job and unable to work? Fortunately, if they know their rights and follow the proper procedures, the student can file a claim for workers’ compensation.

Types of Work-Study Jobs and Their Risks

Let’s face it; there is nothing glamorous about a work-study job. The luckiest students might get shifts in the library or in an academic office, but the large majority will end up with very physical jobs with high rates of accidents and injuries. Typical campus jobs include:

  • Dining hall. Like other restaurant workers, students who prepare and serve food, bus tables, and clean floors are at risk of a burn injury or slip and fall that could keep them off-duty for the rest of the semester.
  • Resident advisors. RAs have the tough job of wrangling freshmen and keeping order in the dorms, which could involve breaking up fights, providing emergency medical care, and physically moving unconscious students. RAs can be assaulted, suffer a back strain, or fall down the stairs.
  • Medical clinics. Pre-med and science majors might work in the university hospital or student health office and could be at higher risk of an infectious disease, strain or sprain, or being injured in an assault, much like other medical assistants.
  • Janitorial work. Cleaning the dining hall, dorms, classroom buildings, recreations centers, and doing landscaping work can be work-study jobs at some universities. Such physical labor has a high rate of injury.

As full-time students, young people don’t earn a lot of money in their work-study jobs, but it is still essential income for many. In addition, the medical costs associated with a serious work injury could be burdensome. While the workers’ comp benefits they could get would not be what a full-time worker would get, it could still make a big difference for a student on financial aid.

How to File a Workers’ Comp Claim in Ohio

Work-study students at Ohio State, Columbus State, and Franklin need to understand that they are eligible for workers’ comp if they are injured on the job. They need to notify their supervisor of the accident immediately and seek medical attention right away. They should also notify the office of financial aid about the injury. The process for a workers’ comp claim would be the same for a part-time student worker as it would be for a full-timer, but if you are told that you are not eligible, or you are discouraged from filing, contact Monast Law Office to talk about your options. We will take a look at your situation and let you know if we can help you get the benefits you deserve.

James Monast
Connect with me
Board-Certified Workers’ Compensation Attorney in Columbus, Ohio