If you’ve been hurt at work in Ohio, you need to know how to start a workers’ compensation claim. Whether your employer pays into the state workers’ compensation system or is self-insured, your claim will begin the same way—by reporting your injury or illness to your employer and filing a First Report of Injury (FROI) form with the Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation (BWC). You have one year from your injury [or death of a family member] to file your claim and two years for occupational diseases, so prompt action is important.

Information to Include on the FROI Form

You, your employer, a medical provider, or your employers’ managed care organization (MCO) can file a workers’ compensation claim. If you have been treated for a work-related injury, the claim may have been filed for you. If you are not sure if a claim has been filed on your behalf, you can check with the BWC. If a claim has not been filed, file the FROI yourself soon.

Filling out the FROI form initiates your claim for workers’ compensation, so fill it out accurately and completely. Detailed instructions are included on the form – read and follow them carefully. The form asks for some basic identifying information along with details about what led to your injury or illness, including:

  • The date you were injured, or the date an occupational disease was diagnosed or treated by a medical provider or forced you to quit working—whichever happened most recently
  • The last day you worked before you could not because of the injury or illness
  • A description of the events that caused the injury or illness
  • Treatment information, to be completed by your medical provider, indicating that the injury or illness is work related
  • Your employer’s signature, certifying that the application is correct and valid

You may complete the form online or fill out a hard copy and mail or fax it to the BWC. An incomplete form will cause a delay of determination by the BWC.

You May Need to Provide Additional Information

The BWC has 28 days to investigate your claim, during which they may ask for additional information from you, your employer, and your medical providers. Comply with BWC requests promptly, keep your appointments, and accurately report your symptoms to your doctors. If your claim is denied, contact an experienced workers’ compensation lawyer to help you with an appeal.

Whoever your employer is—Walmart, Worthington Industries, The Ohio State University, or another Ohio employer—you may have compensation when injured at work or exposed to a toxin that makes you ill. We encourage you to learn more right now by downloading a free copy of our book, The Worker’s Guide to Injury Compensation in Ohio, and by browsing the free videos and articles available on our website. If you have specific questions about your case or how we can help you, please contact our office.


James Monast
Connect with me
Board-Certified Workers’ Compensation Attorney in Columbus, Ohio
Post A Comment