Seeing a nurse practitioner for workers' comp injuriesIt can be difficult to get an appointment with your primary care physician when you need one. Following an accident at work, you want to be seen quickly—not only to get a diagnosis and to begin treatment but also to begin applying for workers’ compensation.

However, if you're unable to see your doctor, you can schedule an appointment with a nurse practitioner, clinical nurse specialist, or physician assistant within
the practice for the initial disability certification.

What NPs, CNSs, and PAs Can Do

To complete workers’ compensation paperwork, nurse practitioners (NP), clinical nurse specialists (CNS), and physician assistants (PA) can do the following for an initial six-week period of disability:

  • Examine injured workers.
  • Submit medical documentation which may be used as evidence to support the injured worker’s disability due to an allowed work-related injury or disease.
  • Complete and submit a Physician’s Report of Work Ability (MEDCO-14), including capabilities and restrictions.
  • Submit office notes, including a detailed treatment and return-to-work plan.

For periods of disability beyond the first six weeks, a physician must either examine the patient or review the nurse’s or PA’s notes and co-sign the MEDCO-14 form. While a physician’s signature is required on the Request for Temporary Total Compensation (C-84) and the Report of Ability (MEDCO-14) forms, NPs, CNSs, and PAs can sign the following:

  • Initial application (FROI)
  • Appeal MCO Treatment Decision (C-11)
  • Physician’s Request for Authorization of Medical Services or Recommendation of Additional Allowance (C-9)

In busy medical practices, NPs, CNSs, and PAs have very important roles. If you can't get in to see your doctor within a few days of your accident, see one of these other medical professionals. The longer you delay seeking medical treatment, the more difficult it can be to get approved for workers’ compensation.

Monast Law Office Can Step in When You Need Help

If you get pushback from your employer or the BWC regarding your application for workers’ comp, it's important that you speak to an attorney. To learn more about your right to workers’ compensation, request a free download of my book, The Worker’s Guide to Injury Compensation in OhioOur team is ready to assist injured workers across Ohio. 


James Monast
Connect with me
Board-Certified Workers’ Compensation Attorney in Columbus, Ohio
Post A Comment